Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Water Features in Winter

Water features are very popular right now. Many clients aren't sure how to prepare their water features for winter. The biggest variable is whether or not you have fish. If you have fish, you need to maintain an air hole. This can be accomplished by: 1)a floating heater purchased at a store like IFA or 2)a pump which agitates the surface of the water and keeps it from freezing. DO NOT break the ice with a hammer. The pounding on the ice sends shock waves through the water and is dangerous for the fish!


I like to run my waterfall as long as I can. I shut it down when most of it becomes frozen due to cold temperatures. I will leave my pumps in the water and just turn the power off because they are deep enough that they don't freeze. Some people prefer pulling their pumps out and storing them in the garage during the winter if they have shallower ponds.

No comments:

Post a Comment